Father Abraham Ayckara MST (14/03/1939 –02/12/2015), one of the senior priests of the MST, was called to eternal bliss on 2nd December, 2015 at 1:45 p.m. The funeral services took place at 10 a.m. on Friday, December 4, 2015 at Deepti Bhavan, Melampara.
Ordained on 25-06-1971, he served as a great missionary in various capacities:
1) Vicar of St Mary’s Cathedral, Ujjain (01-10-1974 — 01-10-1976).
2) Director of Jeevan Jyoti MOC at Kamed, Ujjain (01-10-1976 — 03-04-1979).
3) Founder and priest-in-charge of Dev Matha Catholic Ashram, Malikhedi, Ujjain (03-04-1979 — 05-06-1991).
4) Director and Priest-in-charge of Vikas Maitri, Kotra, Ujjain (07-07-1996 — 17-02-2001).
5) Director of Samanvay, the Centre for Inter-Religious Dialogue in the diocese of Ujjain (17-02-2001— 02-10-2010).
He did doctoral studies in theology between 1991 and 1996 and successfully defended the thesis, “The Mission Ad Gentes of the Church of Thomas Christians: A Historico-cultural and Ecclesiological Study of the Syro-Malabar Missions with Special Focus on the Eparchies of the Hindi Culture Region” on on 14 March 1996.
Since 02nd October, 2010, he was leading a retired life, during which he found time to publish a book on Our Father Rosary. His contribution as a missionary, formator and path-finder in inter-religious dialogue will ever be cherished. May his pious soul rest in peace!
--Fr Joseph G. Aryankalayil